Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Return: Are we naive or too trusting?

Well this is my first post in almost 3 years. Wow. I was inspired to bring this back by some recent events that made quite an impression and a friend, who's blog (redstickreader.com) should be earning her some dinero soon - and who couldn't use a little extra $ these days, right? Right.

So down to business. You may have heard about my recent brush with crime at the liquor store on my birthday...If not, in short, I was at the counter discussing the merits of Captain Morgan 100 Proof with the shop's only clerk when a Hispanic man and woman came in, grabbed their loot, and made for a quick exit. Then a black woman came to the counter shortly after and told the clerk she had just seen them run off with a bottle hidden in their big coats. The clerk just shrugged it off. More about that in a moment.

I got a new TV and Blu Ray player recently as well (Woot!)- and the first movie I decided to watch was 'No Country For Old Men.' (perhaps you see where this is going...) I like the movie a lot - but hadn't seen it probably since my last blog post. One thing I took definite notice of this time around- that was always there before but more on an unconscious level - was how completely naive the townspeople were and how unaware of the crime and criminals often right before them. That made someone (or something) like Anton Chigurh even more menacing and dangerous. The Coen Brothers return to this theme frequently in the film and in some not so subtle ways- with colorful authentic characters and memorable scenes: the store clerks, hotel and mobile home managers, kids, Moss' Mother-in-law, etc. They seem to fit more in the 50's day time television than say tough, salt of the earth folks of the early 80's (1980 was the year it was set). The only non-criminal or cop that seems aware is the Llewelyn Moss character. However, his experience in Vietnam is mentioned a few times- and this assumes he would be privy to the violence and horror that exists in our world - and the consequences they can bring. Of course the Sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones) senses this changing of the tides and doesn't feel he can compete anymore with the growing intensity, and chaotic nature of the violence and crime the new age brings.

With all this in mind it made me reflect on my youth and entering (serious) adulthood. I grew up with a mind for naivete'. I can recall our house got burglarized once or twice when I was about 10 or 11. No one was home. That's about as close as I've come to witnessing any real crime. And for the most part I'm thankful for this. I wish all kids could live such a charmed life I had. But on the other hand, as an aspiring writer, I often feel behind the eight ball, so to speak, when it comes to spotting clues and all the things that go along with being known as street wise. I admit I'm probably way too lax on things like: locking the door at night, leaving my keys sitting out when I go for a run, walking down dark alleys at night, etc. I hardly ever worry about that stuff.

And furthermore, many of you may already know, for the last 2 years I've become very interested in the crime genre. Practically becoming an expert on Film Noir. I've tried writing crime stories myself, but always hit a roadblock because I don't feel like I know enough about say- solving a murder or committing a crime to really dissect it and make it authentic. I don't know how some writers do it. They can't all be former cops, journalists, or attorneys. Are some actual criminals?

A local news story I came across yesterday that grabbed my interest is known as the 'Yogurt Shop Murders' took place 20 years ago and remains unsolved, where 4 teenage girls (ages 13-17) were tied up, gagged, raped, shot execution style, bodies stacked and burned - right there in the Ice Cream store where they worked. Happened here in Austin back when it was a much smaller town. I imagine that really floored some people when they first heard.
You can read an overview about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Austin_yogurt_shop_murders
and more in depth here:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2011-12-16/scene-of-the-crime/

So back to my booze incident. When I realized what happened, I felt somewhat responsible for the store getting ripped off. I did notice that this girl was suspicious- crouched down looking up at me- waiting for the right moment to make her grab and getaway and the guy asking a quick silly question about them not having a certain size and leaving swiftly (if you read that story on the Yogurt Shop Murders several customers noticed some guys acting shady, but never did anything about it, and left- leaving these young girls there alone with these strange guys late at night. Eerie). If it hadn't been for that black woman who pointed it out, and I believe her, the clerk, a seemingly normal white dude in his late 20's probably, and I, would never have known. Not to make this a race thing, but I find that blacks and Hispanics are much wiser when it comes to matters such as these, while us sheltered white folk are quite oblivious. And often we're taken advantage of. We operate in our own worlds most of the time and I think many of us try to forget about the possibilities of becoming a victim of a violent crime or even witnessing one.
Another incident that occurred the other day - a teacher I work with had several hundred dollars worth of cash and gift cards taken from her purse. She left her room unattended for just a few minutes to go grab some coffee, while some students came in, and now she's $600 in the hole. She and security never found the culprit. I'm sure she never thought for a second during her brief departure that would happen. We're way too trusting sometimes. But I'd like to think of that as a positive character trait.

More to come soon - I hope.

No comments: